Friday, July 18, 2008

Bad weather, party and poker

I am throwing a party on Saturday, which I’ve prepared for weeks and invited thirty people to. My apartment is really small, but luckily enough I have a little yard where guests can go out and smoke and cool down. The problem is that I now, after many enthusiastic visits to different weather sites, have realized that it will probably be really bad weather. And I am not talking cloudy here, it will pretty much be storm, with minus degrees. Fine, people could stand outside if it was just chilly or dark, but if it is really windy and rains, than it is really not a good idea any longer. And it doesn’t matter how great music you play or how tasty your food is. My apartment simply is too small for thirty people to fit in it, so I had no idea what to do. First I thought that I had to cancel, or postpone, the party. But I think that there is a fair risk that I will never throw the party in that case, and that would really be disappointing for everyone. The last days I have given this a lot of thoughts, and checked several different alternatives when it comes to warmth. It is possible to buy and infra heater rather cheap, but the electrical bills would go up the roof. It is also possible to buy a party tent, but it feels a bit too expensive if I am just going to use it for a few hours.

Finally I just stopped thinking about the whole ordeal and started playing online poker instead. It always pushes away bad thoughts. I didn’t win more than I lost at Texas Hold’em, but at the stud poker it was easier. I won about $100. Despite of that I gave up early, and when it was time to sleep I still hadn’t poker in my head, but the party.

Today I have decided that it just has to be crowded. There is a small chance that the weather gets better than what the meteorologists now claim, and if not, then I guess that everybody will have to stand up or leave at the door. The most important thing is that I look forward to the party with expectation, not concern.

And that $100 I won in poker… Maybe they can come in handy when it is time to bulk up the wine storage for the party. Logically, the guests will be less bothered by the crowding if they’ve gotten a welcome drink, right?

No comments: