Monday, July 21, 2008

New at poker

It is time for me to learn how to play poker. I have several friends that have done it for years and tried to make me interested, but I have never really given it a try.

Yesterday, however, I decided to give it a go and see if I could impress anyone. We all met up at a friends place in the suburbs, took a seat at the poker table and put 10$ each in the pot. I don’t know if it was because I had a lot of luck or if I actually performed well – but somehow I managed to score time and again. The others blamed it on beginner’s luck, of course, but I’d like to state that this was just skill.

And I actually beat them, one by one. In the end, when it was just me and a friend left, my hand wasn’t particularly good. Fact of the matter was that I wasn’t holding anything, and my mate looked calm in a way that disturbed me. The others had started taking interest in other things, but between us it was deadly serious. For him, in particular, since he didn’t want to lose against someone who had a lot less experience than himself. Just in the end, I got two sevens, and since I was already holding one I knew that I could already start bottling up the champagne. I could barely keep my joy to myself. The whole thing ended with me winning the whole pot, and also beating all of my friends, who had more experience than I.

Not bad for a first-timer!

Now I have decided to try to learn the “science” in online poker, to see if I am as successful there. It is a bit different, I know that. One of my friends only plays online, and he has scored hundreds and hundreds of dollars. It took him some time to learn the techniques and which poker rooms suited him and so on. But once you start to manage all that, there is a chance that you’ll be so good that you can make a living from your gambling! At least to a certain extent.

And even if I don’t get better than this at poker or online games, I still had a nice evening. Hopefully there are more to come.

No comments: